Monday, August 31, 2009
Rice is for Real
As football fans everywhere continue to draft their respective teams for the next couple of weeks, I would like to offer a mid-draft selection that could really bolster owners' teams this year. Try Ray Rice, running back for the Baltimore Ravens. He busted on to the college scene in his 1st year, and never looked back. By the end of his college career, he had shattered school records and become a Heisman contender. Drafted in the 2nd round two years ago, his rookie campaign was filled with ups and downs. He finished with over 450 yds rushing and 250 recieving. The Ravens have high aspirtations for Rice, naming him their starter for this upcoming season. Consider this: the Ravens already run the ball over 35+ times a game, and they have no viable recieving threat outside of Derrick Mason. Ray Rice's average pick in ESPN leagues so far is 66th overall, and 27th among RBs. That generally equates to anywhere from the 6th to 9th round. Ray Rice didn't put up sensational numbers last year, but remember that he was shelved with a shin injury after week 14, and he shared carries with two other viable fantasy options (including Willis McGahee and Leron McClain, who I also think could be a steal). I don't think Rice will be putting up 100 yds/game averages all season, but I do think he can be counted on for a modest but consistent 8 points per week this season, considering his versatility as both a runner and reciever between the 20s. It should be mentioned that McClain will steal some valuable carries on the goaline (which is why I am starting him week 1 vs. the Chiefs), but that shouldn't be enough to scare you off. Both myself and Matt (co-writer) were in attendance at the Panthers vs. Ravens week 3 preseason contest, so we were able to get a first-hand look at some potential fantasy contributers from both teams. I think we agreed that we both came away very impressed from what we saw from Rice: a modest 10 carries for only 32 yds, but an impressive 8 catches for over 60 yds. Rice has had a solid preseason, and I expect him to carry that over into September and beyond. So, don't leave Ray Rice out of the sleeper discussion this season, and be sure to target him while drafting this season.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment